الخميس، 27 يونيو 2013

Creamy Mustard & Onion Soup


Onion & Mustard Soup
I have a thing for creamy mustard soup. Is that a typically Dutch thing to eat? I don’t even know. Oh, trust me when I say I have no delusions about the nutritional value, but I really can’t help myself when I’m being served a huge bowl of this creamy goodness. It’s so delicious, especially when you dip crusty bread in it.
Now you have to admit that I’ve been really good about not using loads of cream in my recipes or sauces. Yes, I’ve been good! Admit it! Unfortunately this is and will always be one of my weaknesses and now I’ll tempt you with it, too. I’m evil like that.
But get this: I’m also addicted to onion soup. Choices. Choices. Life always boils down to choices. But does it really have to be a choice?
Of course not. Let’s combine the two!

Ingredients:
3 small (or 1 big) onion
2 garlic cloves
1 oz butter (25gr)
3 tbsp flour
3 cups water
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 tbsp coarse mustard
2 tbsp cream
worcestershire sauce
pepper
salt
Optional: white wine vinegar
Directions:
It’s really quite simple. This is the basis: 3 small onions, 2 garlic cloves and 3 tbsp flour.Onion & Mustard Soup
Slice the onion. I usually opt for half-quarts. I’m not a big fan of onion soup with rings—it makes it so clumsy to eat. Also grate or chop the garlic.
Onion & Mustard Soup
Heat the butter and cook the onions until soft, in about 5 minutes. I choose not to let them brown but it’s okay for them to brown a little, if you’re so inclined. Add the garlic and give everything 1 more minute.Onion & Mustard Soup
Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes to neutralize the rawness.Onion & Mustard Soup
Pour in the water, crumble in the chicken bouillon cube and bring it to a boil.Onion & Mustard Soup
Simmer the soup, over low to medium heat, for 15 to 20 minutes. Until the onions are nice and soft.

Season with salt, pepper and a tiny splash of worcestershire sauce. I also like to add a little white wine vinegar for a bit of a kick, about a tbsp or so, but this is optional. Stir in the coarse mustard. And let’s not forget to pour in 2 tbsp cream. Look! I have a special 1/8 cup!
Onion & Mustard Soup
I don’t use anymore than 2 tbsp cream. It really is enough, anymore will simply end up in places where I don’t want heavy cream to end up, my butt for instance. Don’t let the soup boil after you’ve added the cream, though.Onion & Mustard Soup
Serve with an indecent amount of warm garlic bread. If this won’t make your taste buds happy, give it up, nothing will!Onion & Mustard Soup

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق