الجمعة، 9 ديسمبر 2011

White Bean Salad

Today, I have for you, a salad.
What the heck?
Indeed, a salad.
Yeah…sometimes…I gotta eat stuff that’s relatively good for me.
I can’t just eat cookies.
I want to, but I can’t.
Also, I just like to eat lots of different stuff.
That’s okay right?
This salad has been making weekly appearences in our dinner rotation.
It’s mighty tasty, bright, and fresh.
At it’s simplest it’s just white beans, a little onion, and a homemade vinaigrette. Sometimes I add basil, or parsley, or cilantro. Sometimes I add some Israeli couscous and it becomes a salad with carbs.
My favorite.
I’ve even added roasted red peppers and/or tomatoes.
Those are both lovely additions.
Basically, you can add whatever you fancy.
This salad is totally adaptable that way.
It’s nice as a side to some grilled protein or perfect for lunch. Sean loves this homely little salad. It actually shocked him how good it was. I like when I shock him with my humble cooking skills. Makes me feel like a champion.
I like that.
White Bean Salad
This time I added spinach to the mix. I suggest adding the spinach right before serving as the dressing will make it all wilt-y. I used a combination of lemon juice and cider vinegar for the acid part of the dressing. I just really like those two things and always have lemons and cider vinegar lying around. The dressing, like the salad, is totally adaptable to your taste. I like to grate the garlic and let it mingle with the acid so the raw edge is tamed a bit…or else you might just have highly corrosive garlicky dragon breath, as opposed to the regular kind of garlicky dragon breath.
1 can drained, rinsed white beans, such as cannelini or great northern
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (I used white, red or sweet are nice too)
1 small clove garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons olive oil
2+ tablespoons fresh herbs, if you have them
1 cup washed, baby spinach leaves
Place beans and chopped onion in a medium bowl. Set aside and make the dressing
Grate garlic with a microplane or mince finely, place in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Add lemon, vinegar, maple syrup/honey, dijon, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Screw on lid and shake it up! Taste the dressing and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Pour the vinaigrette over the beans, mix well. Fold in the herbs (if using) and spinach leaves. Serve. If you don’t use the spinach or don’t add it in at this point this salad is wonderful after it has had time to chill in the refrigerator–anywhere from a few hours to 2-3 days.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق