الثلاثاء، 29 نوفمبر 2011

Indian-Style Yoghurt Chicken


Indian-style yogurt chicken
And so I send you into your week with a simple, tasty and really low-fat recipe. Now there’s a first! (might as well say it myself before someone else does.)
I had chicken and I had yoghurt, both needed to be used up before either one would get up and walk away on their own. I’m also the proud owner of two kitchen cabinets filled to the brim with an almost indecent amount of spices, and I’m not afraid to use them. So here’s what I came up with.
But first I have some shocking news. Are you sitting down? No? You’d better sit down.
I used coriander.
You can pick your jaw up off the floor now. No, I’m not kidding. I cannot believe I did that. I really wish I wouldn’t have done that. WHAT was I thinking?

Ingredients:
2 chicken fillets (boneless breasts)
1/2 cup yoghurt
1 tsp tandoori spices
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/8 tsp hot chili powder
1 garlic clove
1/4 tsp salt
coriander
Directions:
*this was (obviously) a recipe for two.
Flatten the chicken before placing them in a shallow dish. Just smack the heck out of ‘em. This should be one of the official anger management techniques, I tell ya!
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Dump 1/2 cup yoghurt in a bowl. Feel free to use low-fat yoghurt, mine wasn’t.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Grate 1 large garlic clove and add it to the yoghurt.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
I have a thing for Tandoori spices—always keep them in my pantry. Add 1 slightly heaping tsp tandoori spices.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
And curry powder. I must have curry powder in my marinade, this is 1/2 a tsp. Spike the marinade with 1/8 tsp hot chili powder and 1/4 tsp salt. In hindsight, I could have added a pinch of ground cumin as well.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Clearly I wasn’t thinking! If I would’ve been, I would’ve tossed the coriander and used flat-leaf parsley in stead. But no, I just had to chop a handful of coriander while bravely ignoring the fact that just chopping the stuff almost made me gag. It did turn out to be a gorgeous orange marinade.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Pour the marinade all over the chicken, get some on both sides. Cover the tray with foil and let the chicken marinade for at least one hour. Preferably longer.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Fire up your grill. Get it really hot, lightly oil it and toss the chicken on top and grill it for about 5 minutes on each side. Of course this depends on the thickness of your chicken.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Serve on top of crispy cucumber sticks and tomato slices. Garnish with a little extra yoghurt and some freshly cracked black pepper. Give warm pita or naan bread and a big green salad on the side for a healthy, beautiful lunch or dinner.
Indian-style yogurt chicken
Hate to say this because the chicken was cooked to perfection and it looked so incredibly beautiful, but the coriander completely ruined it for me. I should like coriander. I want to like coriander. But I don’t. It tastes so foul to me that it ruins everything it touches. I guess I was, am and will always be a coriander-phobic. Such is life.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق